BBQ's don't have to just be about meat. You’ll be sure to please any crowd with these 5 delicious vegan recipes.
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tinned chickpeas, drained
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 6 mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- For the burger:
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into rings or fried if prefered
2. Put 1/2 cup of rolled oats into a blender or food processor and ground into a fine powder by pulsing several times.
3. In a small pan, heat some oil, fry the onions and the garlic for about 3 minutes. Together with the remaining ingredients, add them to the chickpeas and mix well. Form four large burger patties.
4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and put the burger patties on top. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 °F. Flip them after the first 10 minutes. Then place them on the barbecue for 5-10 minutes, until cooked all the way through. Cut the whole wheat buns in halves and cover both halves with a sauce of your cause. Serve the mushrooms burgers with tomatoes, lettuce, and red onions.
BBQ Teriyaki Tofu
- 4 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- pinch ground ginger
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 350g block tofu cut into thick slices
- ½ tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 courgettes, sliced horizontally into strips
- 200g Tenderstem broccoli
- Black and white sesame seeds, to serve
1. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and mirin with 1 tsp sesame oil and brush it all over the slices of tofu. Put them in a large, dish and pour over any leftover marinade. Chill for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat the barbecue until the coals are glowing white. Mix the remaining sesame oil with the rapeseed oil and brush the courgette slices and broccoli. Barbecue them over the coals for 7-10 mins or until they are tender and then set aside and keep warm.
3. Barbecue the tofu slices over the coals for 5 mins until they turn brown and go crispy at the edges. Serve the tofu on a bed of the veg with the remaining marinade and scatter over the sesame seeds.
BBQ Potato Slices
- 4 large potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- Few fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely sliced
1. Slice the potatoes to the thickness of your little finger, discarding the rounded end pieces. Tip into a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for around 3-4 mins until only just cooked, then drain. This can be done a day ahead or on the day.
2. Choped the onion into rings and place on the barbecue. Rub each potato slice with a little oil and then barbecue until golden and charred. Put the onion and potato in a dish and sprinkle with rosemary and garlic. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and season with salt. If you feel it needs any extra seasoning, add it in now.
Butternut Squash & Tofu Skewers
For the skewers:
- 1-2 Butternut squash
- Mushrooms (any kind)
- 2 Courgettes
- 300g of firm tofu
- A bit of flour
- For the marinade:
- Soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp BBQ seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- Sriracha sauce
1. Peel the butternut squash, cut into halves and chop up into bite-sized pieces for the skewers. Boil for 10 minutes (making sure it doesn't go mushy). Once done take them out of the water and let cool down.
2. Now take your tofu block and squeeze the water out so it can absorb the flavours better. Then cut the tofu into bite-size cubes.
3. For the marinade, add all ingredients into a bowl and stir to mix it up.
4. Put some flour on a separate plate and then dunk your tofu cubes into the marinade. Make sure it's covered on all sides with marinade. Then carefully coat the cubes in flour. Keep some marinade for the next step.
4. Cut the courgettes into rough slices, chop up the mushrooms and start assembling your skewers with all the ingredients. Using a spoon, drizzle the marinade over the vegetables (leaving the tofu). Put them on the grill, and let them sizzle until all is golden brown and charred.
Fruit Skewers with a Chocolate Drizzle
- 150g pineapple
- 2 bananas
- 8 strawberries
- 4 tsp coconut oil
- 25g cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 30g toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Thread the pineapple cubes, banana circles and whole strawberries onto your skewers (if you’re using wooden skewers, soak them first).
2. Rub the fruit with coconut oil to prevent them from sticking. Place the fruit skewers on the grill and cook for 2 minutes per side, uncovered. Remove the fruit from the grill and place on a plate.
3. Make the salted chocolate drizzle by heating the chocolate chips, 2 tsp coconut oil and sea salt. Continue to stir the chocolate until it’s melted and creamy, then drizzle it right over the fruit. If you don’t want to drizzle it all over the top, serve as a dipping sauce. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top.