The Dogs Trust list of hazardous plants fills eight A4 pages and some caution is required, here's our top ten:

Amaryllis (bulbs)

Lovely flowering plants but ingesting the bulbs may cause an upset stomach, hyperactivity, lethargy, coma and shock. Can be fatal.


Can cause nausea, breathing difficulties and could be fatal if a large amount is eaten.


A pet's gastrointestinal tract and nervous system might be affected by plant toxins, and dermatitis can also be a problem.

Daffodils (bulbs)

They might be a pretty and welcome sight to welcome the arrival of spring, but they have the potential to damage your pet’s kidneys and can be fatal.    


Very useful in prescribed quantities for humans with certain heart conditions, however ingesting digitalis can cause nausea and vomiting.


May cause  loss of balance, seizures, tremors and an upset stomach.


Lilies are firm favourites, both outdoors and indoors, adorning many household table bouquets but can be harmful if eaten in quantity.   


If you purchase one of these plants at Christmas beware that the leaves, sap and stem can cause abdominal cramps, delirium, diarrhoea, even blindness if the sap gets into your pet's eyes. 


Another widely loved plant with hidden dangers - rhododendron can cause breathing problems, nausea and can be fatal.

Spider Plant

These popular houseplants cause vomiting in both cats and dogs, which, if untreated, can progress to kidney failure. 

Incidents of serious poisoning in UK pets are quite rare and some of these dangerous plants have to be eaten in large quantities to have any effect. 

If you suspect your pet has eaten something harmful (on purpose or by accident when they are grooming) take them straight to the vet.

A good precautionary measure is to make a list of any plants in your garden and neighbouring area that could be potentially hazardous. Then, if you suspect poisoning, you can take this list with you.

The full list of harmful plants can be accessed on the Dogs Trust website.